August 13, 2008

"Due Date"

Yesterday I had a doctor's appointment. I haven't been all that thrilled with the clinic I've been going to. Everyone is nice but it's not very personal. There are 5 different doctors and around 4 Physicians Assistants. I've seen two of the doctors twice and it was my first time meeting the doctor I saw yesterday. I was glad to finally meet him and was grateful for what I learned from him. I was also very bothered that I didn't know this information before...

Apparently my one and only ultrasound showed that the approximate due date was August 25th. The due date given by the doctors was August 16th, based on the first day of my last period. However, Mark and I weren't sure about the accuracy of this due date because my periods weren't very regular (because I was still nursing). It is irritating that they never told me about the projected due date before.

My concern (as brought up by my last doc) is that if the baby doesn't come until later, they may want to induce me. I REALLY DON'T WANT TO BE INDUCED!!!! However, I can bring up the info of the projected due date and fight being induced. As long as the baby is healthy I shouldn't have to be induced. The doctor was saying that if he induced me now he could get me to go in a day or two but it would up my chances of a c-section 2 or 3 times. NO THANK YOU!

I should add that one of the doctors that I have seen twice has said he thinks I'll go pretty close to the due date. I think he's basing that mostly off the fact that Lexi was only one day late. He said that's a fairly good indicator. I have also been measuring right on with the August 16th due date. I'm really not so sure what to think now. I don't think that I'll be in labor this weekend though. The unknown of when he'll be born just became even more unknown, if that's possible.

Mark's family are all going to be here Labor Day weekend. We had decided to have the baby blessing that Sunday because everyone is already going to be there. It's before one brother leaves on a mission and it would save everyone gas money. We thought it was a great plan. The only problem was that the baby would still be quite small and we wouldn't want everyone passing him around (at least not without sanitizing their hands). Now it's possible he'd only be a few days old and we REALLY don't want everyone touching him. Plus I might not be up to going to sacrament meeting and just think of all the germs around for such a small baby... So we're going to have to change those plans. Ughh.

As bothered as I am to just barely be learning this information I am very grateful that I know now. This will make it much easier to handle him not showing up this weekend.

Anyways, I now believe this baby boy will be "late" but I'm ok with it. I think...

11 comments:

Jared, Ashley, Caleb, Jacob, Abby, and Lizzy! said...

Wow! it's so good to hear from you guys! I know exactly how you feel. We had quite a time trying to figure out Jacob's due date as well because I was still nursing too! The kept changing it to be earlier and earlier to May 12 and then he ended up coming a day before the very first due date!!!!(June 6th he arrived june 5th) Ugh!!! It was because I had too much water and it made me measure bigger then I should've been wich kept bummping the due date, until someone finally realized in an ultrasound that there was a lot of fluid in there! But all is well and I didn't have to be induced after all!!!! Yay! HE is now in the 100th percentile for height and 98th percentile for weight so he's a big boy! Caleb's hair just decided to go blond on us this summer!! go figure. Suposedly he's eyes will change color too (whatever) but I sure hope they stay blue. I'm a softy for the blue! Glad to hear all is well with you guys and we'll keep intouch!!!

Giles Fam said...

that stinks--I'm sorry! How exciting, though! Having a new baby is so fun. Good luck with everything!

Lesley said...

There must have been a reason you saw this Dr. at this time. What great info to have! If only you could have know the real "date" sooner. But I agree, having that info now can help you fight for the labor you want. I am anti-inducing myself. Especially if they would have induced you based on a date that was so far off! I bet this boy will still come very soon, and at least now you and the dr.s can have more reasonable expectations.

As for blessing your sweet little guy, I am also totally with you on waiting, even if it is inconvenient for others. We blessed Ian when he was about 9 days old (it coincided with graduation) but I will never, ever emerge from recovery just to bless a baby again. It should be a fun time to enjoy being around family, and a 'coming out' for the baby, not a stressful, exhausting interruption to you and your baby's recovery. This time around we are planning to wait 'til the babe is 2.5 - 3 months old, which to me sounds heavenly. You should shoot for blessing the baby during the gathering around Thanksgiving time. :)

Anonymous said...

I don't blame you for wanting to fight induction... it didn't work out the best for me. Grace ended up being an emergency c-section. I just think some people don't respond well to induction. I say just let nature take its course if you can. I have heard many people who did just fine with it, but why do it if you're comfortable and there are no problems right? Enjoy the extra time with Lexi. If you want to chat about induction to give me a call!

meng said...

that is so frustrating. good luck with everything!

zealygirl said...

For the RUDENESS!! I'm so proud of you for sticking up for yourself! You go girl! He will come when he is supposed to; you just hang in there. If we have to come back another weekend for a blessing, it will just be a great chance to see you all again. Definitely stock up on the sanitizer, though!

So much love and prayers to you all!

Unknown said...

Good luck with everything. That would be very frustrating. Hang in there, the end is in site. Don't be too scared of a c-section they aren't that bad. Keep us updated!

Megan said...

How frustrating! I hope everything goes smoothly, even though things just got harder for you to plan and prepare for.
I know it's been a long time since I've updated my blog - but we do have good news - We're having a baby in March! Yay. Our due date is March 7, 2009. So, we are super excited.
We're excited for your family and your second little baby! Can't wait to see pictures!

Angela said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your frustrations. We'll just keep hoping and praying that this baby will come sooner rather than later. Good luck with everything!!

Angela said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your frustrations. We'll just keep hoping and praying that this baby will come sooner rather than later. Good luck with everything!!

Unknown said...

At least those dates aren't too far apart. He will come when he comes, I guess that's all that women can do right. :) Have fun with family there, and if the baby is born in time for the blessing, just go and don't let anyone hold him, just LOOK! Good luck!